Coming to a Church Near You!
- Drag queen Sparkle reads to the congregation at the Mt. Auburn Presbyterian Church during pride month.
- Madeleine Hordinski, The Enquirer Dan Davidson can usually be seen around Mount Auburn Presbyterian Church sweeping the floors and getting the building ready for worship services.
- On Sunday, June 16, though, church caretaker Davidson woke up before the sun to get ready for a new role at the church that morning.
- He spent hours applying layers and layers of makeup and glitter to transform himself into Sparkle Leigh.
- Sparkle stood at the church door, greeting members as they came in and gawked at her outfit, exclaiming how good it was to see her and kissing her on the cheek.
“I don’t think I could walk in those,” one woman said, pointing at Sparkle’s high heels.
The church service began with a hymn, as the choir sang, “God welcomes all.” When it was time for the “moment with youngest disciples,” out came Sparkle wearing a pink, flowing dress, with green curls adorning her head.
Sparkle then read a book telling the story of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay politician to be elected in California. The San Francisco city official fought against discrimination based on sexual orientation. Sparkle explained how Milk’s legacy lived on after he was assassinated. While Sparkle’s story was directed toward children sitting at the speaker’s feet, some teenagers also joined them in the front, and the whole congregation, young and old, clapped at the exciting parts of the tale.
Mount Auburn Presbyterian is celebrating Pride month throughout June, and the sanctuary is decorated to match the occasion, with pride flags covering the front walls and rainbow candles adorning the stage.
During the service, a man gave his personal testimony, telling his coming out story.
Stacey Midge, the pastor of Mount Auburn, said Sparkle’s storytime fits perfectly with the church’s beliefs – that God loves everyone.
Drag queen controversy
All communities aren’t as accepting as Mount Auburn Presbyterian. Two drag-focused events were canceled in Columbus last month due to protests.
Jeff Johnston, an issues analyst for Focus on the Family, said that while Christians teach children to love and respect everyone regardless of their beliefs, they also want to emphasize the difference between males and females.
Why did it happen?
Let's continue the conversation on Facebook!
Your opinion matters! Join the conversation on our Facebook page and speak your mind!
The Good News
Salvation is a FREE GIFT from God. You don't have to do anything but believe by faith that God sent His only Son Jesus Christ to die for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead 3 days later.
THE GOOD NEWS
Salvation is a FREE GIFT from God. SALVATION IS BY FAITH ALONE & FAITH IS BELIEVING WHAT GOD SAYS.
- God declares all mankind sinners and we all fall short of Glory of God. Romans 3:23
- The payment for our sin is death. Romans 6:23
- But God...because he loved you so much sent His own Son, Jesus Christ, to die in your place, for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead three days later. 1 Cor 15:1-4; 2cor 5:21
All God asks is that you believe by faith alone in 1, 2, & 3. That you're a sinner, separated from God but God sent his Son to die for your sins, was buried & rose again 3 days later.
'that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. '
Do You Believe?